Sunday, March 8, 2020

Hello!

Every day as we walk to the hospital, there is a 4 y/o boy who lives across the street. He loves to yell “Hello!” to see our reactions. Usually I wave; if he persists I use two hands; if he perseverates I even try to wave with my feet and hands simultaneously. It doesn’t matter the circumstances: rain, sun, big trucks, weekends, he always greets us.

Last week the mother called me over and told me that he was sick. I walked across the street and they pulled up a chair for me. I sat in their front ‘yard’ (really more dirt) while they tried to find him. I looked him over and he wasn’t dying. So I didn’t commit to free consultations or medications like they wanted, but they also didn’t ask outright. I noticed a deep dimple on his tongue at the same place I’d expect his frenulum to attach from underneath. I asked about it and it’s been there since birth. I asked if he talks ok and the mother gave him a firm nudge (that in the US would be ‘hitting’) and commanded him: “Talk!” Under those circumstances, nobody would have anything to say. So I squatted down, shushed his mother, and said “What’s your name?” He responded, “Ishmael.” Sounded good to me, so time to have a little fun. “What’s my name?” I asked with a smirk. I honestly didn’t expect any response at all. He smiled back at me, waved his hand, and said “Hello!”
The small crowd that had been gathering laughed, as it was obvious I’d been out played by a 4 year old.

1 comment: