Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The 2020 Return Trip

 We’ve made it back to Sierra Leone safely!

It was quite a trip and we’ve had some surprises on arriving home, so this will be split into two: travel and settling in at home.

 

It’s always a long journey, but COVID made it even longer this trip. It was relatively smooth, but long.

 

We left my folk’s house near Chattanooga at 6AM eastern standard time and drove to Atlanta International Airport. We were early because we had 4 checked bags all very close to 50lbs and I wanted to make sure we had time to rearrange if the gate agent was pedantic. He was actually very congenial and we breezed through and had a several hour wait for our flight to Chicago. In Chicago it was a 5 hour layover then an 8 hour red eye to Brussels in Belgium. In Brussels it was another 5 hour layover. Upon arrival we immediately found some chairs without arm rests, laid flat, and fell asleep. The next thing I know we are completely surrounded by people waiting for a flight. Of the roughly 30 terminals in our wing of the airport, we choose one of the two that had departing flights. Luckily, mandatory mask wearing means that you can sleep in public with your mouth open and not even be embarrassed! So I’m quite sure I looked totally cool while unconscious and draped over my luggage.

 

We were about to grab something to eat when they started boarding our flight 2 hours before departure! But don’t worry, we had some snacks still on hand because Rachel is always prepared. The queue was long and as we approached we could see 4 different people checking the mandatory documents: boarding pass, passport, visa, residency cards, negative COVID test less than 72 hours old, and some Belgian public health paperwork that needed to be applied for prior to arriving in the airport. As one might expect, that took quite a bit of time and many people didn’t have their paperwork in order. As the woman 4 people in front of us presented her paperwork and US passport, the gate agent asked her reason for traveling to Sierra Leone.

“For my grandmother,” she said.

‘That’s not a good enough reason.’

“But she died and I’m going to the funeral”

‘Do you have a death certificate?’

“No, she’s in Sierra Leone and I’m a citizen of Sierra Leone”

‘Sorry, it’s not a good enough reason to travel.’

“But I was here in the airport last week and all the paperwork was OK except my COVID test was too old. So then I had to stay in Belgium for a week to get COVID testing. And now you’re telling me that all my paper work is not ok‽”

 

It was at this point that we were ushered, with much fear and trepidation, to another gate agent. She smiled nicely, reviewed our paperwork, and let us go without any questions. We were stunned. Why is it easier for white people to get into Sierra Leone than for citizens of Sierra Leone to get in? After sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes, we see the woman board the plane. I guess she was persuasive enough.

 

 

 

The landing at the Lungi Airport in Freetown was impeccable. I took some pilot lessons years ago and landings are tricky. Even landings, like we had in Freetown, without any cross winds take skill. But I think the spontaneous round of applause from the passengers was more motivated by release of anxiety than from appreciation. We walked across the tarmac to the airport where anyone who didn’t use hand sanitizer was denied entry. The immigration queue was socially distanced and calm. The agent was happy to see foreigners returning. We walked down a small hall, handed in our contact tracing paper work (what was your origin airport, seat number, symptoms, etc.), had our temperature checked, all with reasonable social distance. At the next stage was the classic chaos I had expected up to this point.

 

 Everyone is arriving from internationally so there are just bags everywhere. The space is too small for all the people and bags. So it is literally impossible to walk without pushing into someone. Rachel stands off to the side with our carry on bags and I was only able to bring her things one at a time. First a cart for the luggage. Then I found our Away suitcase. Then I found one of our orange North Face Duffels. I waited and waited but never our trunk or other duffel going around on the belt. I eventually fought my way to the far side of the room and found they had been pulled off the belt by somebody else. Then I realized we had only done the easy part.

 

The queue to pay for the COVID tests (80 USD each) was, as they say in Krio, Choked Up. The line was made up with people and all their luggage carts and extended right into the middle of baggage claim. If I had to push people with my body to move through baggage claim, a cart seemed impossible. We ended up cutting the line with some nice Italian folks. That line was SLOW! From there we creeped through another line into another lobby where everyone was forced to abandon their luggage carts to join another two queues: one for free SIM cards and one to have the tests performed. The luggage carts really insured that there was no room to social distance. It was wall to wall. Our 3 hour disembarking ordeal came to a close with swabs up the nose. Happily, they were more gentle than the folks from Tennessee.

 

Now comes a 2 hour drive. Poor Mr. Fobbie had been waiting since 6 PM (our scheduled arrival which was delayed because of paperwork in Belgium) and we were just departing the airport at 10:30 PM. There’s a national COVID curfew from 11PM to 5AM. So at every checkpoint, the police officers are confused why we’re driving and it always takes some explanation. Only once did we have difficulty. There was a small village where the police weren’t letting anyone pass. My speculation is that so many people were forced to sleep in their cars by the side of the road that it helped the local businesses sell their goods. Two different police officers told us to just pull up to the gate and wait. Well, they never came to open the gate and I think they wanted us to wait till morning. But the third time’s the charm and we were able to get around.

We did the math, about 40 hours in transit. The next day we slept till noon.

 

Part two will be our adventures rediscovering our house.










2 comments:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, GOUT, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes simplex been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr ubarlo but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr ubarlo, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after one weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up a , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer reach him through Email drubarlohome@gmail.com OR add on whatsapp +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete